Apple Tarte Tatin Serves 2-3
3 – 4 Pink Lady apples, 100g unsalted butter, 100g caster sugar, ¼ vanilla pod, a pinch of ground cinnamon, 2 sheets puff pastry, egg wash to brush.
1. Place soft butter in smaller sauce pot and spread evenly on bottom.
2. Add sugar, then sprinkle ground cinnamon & vanilla pod
3. Peel apples and cut into quarters. Using a small serrated knife, shape quartered apple into teardrop shapes and place them in prepared sauce pot.
4. Fill shaped apple all around in the pan and make sure they are all very tight.
5. Cook over low to medium heat until butter and sugar caramelised. Its ready to take off from heat once butter and sugar caramelised beautiful deep golden colour and butter becomes clear.
6. Set oven at 200C. Cool down caramelised apple and set aside. Prepare puff pastry while cooling down apple. Use same size sauce pot or same size plate to cut out 2 sheets of puff pastry. Brush a puff pastry disc with egg wash and put another pastry disc over it.
7. Cover cooked apple with layered puff pastry. Cook in the preheated oven for 17-22mins, until puff pastry is puffed up and cooked. Cool down slightly and turn it upside down using a plate. Place the hot apple tart tin on a plate and serve with the Vanilla Bean Chantilly Cream.
Vanilla Bean Chantilly Cream
1 cup double cream, ½ vanilla pod, 1 tbsp caster sugar, ½ tsp vanilla extract, sweet dessert wine to taste.
1. Split Vanilla beans into half with paring knife, and scrape vanilla beans from the pod.
2. Pour cream into mixing bowl, then add vanilla beans, vanilla extract, sugar into the bowl.
3. Whip cream mixture until fluffy texture.
4. Drizzle the wine into whipped cream and whisk until soft peak.
5. Keep it in refrigerator.
Recipe provided by The Garden House Restaurant at the Beaverbrook Hotel, Leatherhead KT22 8QX.
Tel: 01372 571300. www.beaverbrook.co.uk.