This is a magical recipe for a rich, silky, creamy, smooth, luxurious and enchanting hot chocolate treat! The combination of spices and raw cacao create a truly heartwarming drink that is a staple drink during the cold winter months.
60g of arriba nacional or other high-grade, sustainably sourced raw cacao paste (100% cacao with no sweetener); 3 tbsp raw almond butter; 1 tbsp coconut butter; 3 tbsp maple syrup; 1 tbsp raw honey or other sweetener; 1-2 tbsp of carob/lúcuma powder; seeds from 4-5 cardamom pods
¼ tsp cinnamon; 1 tsp of chaga or other medicinal mushroom extract (we like to wild things up a little!); seeds from 1/2 a vanilla pod or 1 tsp vanilla essence; pinch of unprocessed sea salt; 600-1000ml of water (up to you how rich you’d like to go!)
1. Make almond milk by blending almond butter with just enough water to cover the blades of your blender till you get a smooth cream. Add the rest of the water, pinch of salt, cardamom, vanilla, cinnamon and 1 tbsp of sweetener. Blend again.
2. Divide the milk in half. Pour one half of the milk in a pot with cacao paste, coconut oil, 3 tbsp of sweetener (maple syrup) over low heat. Stir slowly.
3. When the cacao paste starts to melt (approx 65°C), pour the contents of the pot into a high-speed blender, add 1-2 tbsp of carob/lúcuma, chaga extract and blend till you get a rich and smooth chocolatey drink.
4. Slowly heat the remaining almond milk to approx 65°C while stirring.
5. Serve by filling half a glass or cup with the rich chocolate almond milk. Then slowly pour your warmed ‘white’ almond milk on top, leaving froth last.
From Wild Food Cafe www.wildfoodcafe.com