Our gardens are an increasingly important habitat for wildlife. They are a significant source of food, water and shelter. There are so many amazing creatures just outside our back doors, and every garden, no matter what size, can be a haven for wildlife.
You can attract more birds, butterflies, bees and insects into your garden by following these simple steps:
- Choose Insect-Friendly Plants – Nectar-rich single flowers with bright colours will help attract bees and butterflies
- No Mow – Leave an area of your garden unmown or mow less frequently and let the grass grow a little longer to encourage wildflowers and insects
- Add Water – A pond, water feature, bird bath, or even just a small bowl of water will help attract wildlife into your garden
- Create Shelter – Add a log pile, bird box, hedgehog home or a house for bugs and insects
“Take time to enjoy all the life your garden protects and fosters”, says Sarah Squire, Chairman of Squire’s Garden Centres. “The sight and scent of flowers, the gentle hum of insects and chirruping of birds make for an intoxicating mix.”
Squire’s Garden Centres has selected some of their favourite insect-friendly plants which will help turn your outdoor space into a pollinator paradise.
- Lavender (£10.99 for a 2 litre pot or Buy 2 Get 3rd Free)
With sumptuous, scented flowers and beautiful purple blooms, Lavender brings colour, scent and texture to your outside space. Honey bees in particular love lavender, and they certainly need our help right now. Plant in a sunny border alongside a patio to make the most of this stunning plant.
- Verbena (£10.99 for a 2 litre pot or 3 for £25)
This popular plant has compact clusters of lilac-purple flowers. It blooms all summer long, and bees, butterflies and other pollinators love its rich nectar.
- Foxgloves (£10.99 for a 2-litre pot or 3 for £25)
With stunning trumpet shaped blooms, foxgloves are an excellent source of nectar for bumble bees, moths and honey bees. They are great for adding height and beautiful colour to your cottage garden.
- Lupins (£10.99 for a 2 litre pot or 3 for £25)
A cottage garden favourite, especially with bees, these easy-to-grow sun lovers have showy tall spires of flowers and enjoy sun or partial shade.
- Honeysuckle (£19.99 for a 3 litre pot)
Lonicera Strawberries & Cream is a wonderfully fragrant, versatile climber, producing long tubular flower buds in a goblet shape. Ideal for growing up trellis or over pergolas, it is loved by bees and butterflies so an absolute treat for the wildlife and humans who enjoy your garden.
- Nemesia (£4.99 for a 1 litre pot or 3 for £12)
This colourful bedding plant bears wonderfully fragrant and delicate flowers. Ideal for borders, plant in groups for beautiful swathes of breath-taking blooms to draw in bees and hoverflies.
- Cosmos (£4.99 for a litre pot or 3 for £12)
A summer garden essential, Cosmos makes for an elegant addition to your border, displaying a profusion of striking flowers that will attract bees and butterflies. Plant in full sun and protect from strong winds.
- Choisya ternate (£14.99 for a 4.5 litre pot or 2 for £25)
Beloved by bees, sweetly scented white flowers appear over glossy green leaves on this evergreen shrub. In most years it will flower twice. Plant is a sunny position in moist, well-drained compost.
- Bee Friends Seed Bombs (£6.99 each)
These seed bombs contain quality compost and a specially selected blend of native wildflower seeds. Simply scatter, water and then watch them bloom.
Shop instore or online for local delivery at www.squiresgardencentres.co.uk